May 14, 2012

Flirc Media Remote

So in an effort to find a way to run XBMC on my NES Media PC box, without a keyboard and mouse. I came across Flirc. It's not an actual remote but a USB IR receiver device. The device is about the size of a thumb and is pretty easy to setup. I had a little trouble setting it up in Linux but since you can set it up on any PC I set it up on my Windows 7 PC. Then just plug it into the Linux box and it was good to go as the programming is on the chip and not the PC.


It has a custom menu that has some basic presets you can use or go as in depth with as many keys as you want to program. It works like a Harmony remote. You tell the program you want to program key X then press the key on the remote you want to perform X. I used an old Tivo remote for my setup as it has enough buttons to perform the basics in XBMC but also has a few extras. I also like the button layout on it.

Overall I would rate this little device pretty good. Allows you options in picking any IR remote. Allows you to customize the buttons the way you want and seems to have good range for operation. I do believe you want to have the device pointing out to the remote user. If your interested check out their website. http://www.flirc.tv/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment